Cilantro Lime Rice is an easy side dish that goes with a variety of meals, comes out tender and flavorful every time, and is ready in less than 30 minutes!
Have you been itching to find a copycat recipe for Chipotle's Cilantro Lime Rice? You are definitely in the right place and you don't even have to leave your house! We are huge fans of easy meals, and the worst thing is when you have a side dish that takes longer to cook than the main course, just one reason we love making this rice.
Even though this recipe is super simple, the taste is amazing and refreshing compared to other recipes where the rice is more like heavy comfort food and leaves you feeling really full.
CILANTRO LIME RICE INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these ingredients for this easy side dish recipe in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store! If this is your first time making this delicious recipe you might want to read the tips before getting started.
- Rice: Our favorite type of rice to use is white long grain Basmati rice
- Lime Juice: try to use fresh lime juice if possible so you can get the full experience from the flavors
- Spices and Herbs: kosher salt, cilantro. If you love the flavor of cilantro feel free to add more than what we have listed.
Enjoy this great recipe as an addition to a tasty meal, Mexican food, special family dinner, or dinner party with these other recipes:
- Chipotle Chicken Kabobs – perfect in the warmer months when you can grill
- Burrito Bowl– great for meal prepping
- Taco Soup – Pour the soup over this rice.
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas – because who doesn't love rice with their fajitas
- Crock Pot Chipotle Chicken – these flavors are the perfect match together
- mixing bowl
- sharp knife
- cutting board
Follow the full instructions and kitchen tips and quick tips for the best way to make this recipe. Don't forget to check the prep time and cook time in the recipe card below before you begin.
PREPARE RICE: Cook the rice according to the instructions on the packaging. You can either boil the rice on the stove top, make it in the microwave, or use a rice cooker if you have one. Once it's ready, fluff with a fork.
Before cooking the white rice, rinse with cool water to help remove the excess starch. Many times by doing this, the rice won't be as sticky and will have less clumping.
ADD LIME AND CILANTRO: Transfer the cooked rice, if needed, to a mixing bowl that is big enough to stir in the chopped fresh cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
Storing your food properly is important to prevent spoiling or food poisoning.
Refrigerate: Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Freeze: Store in an airtight, freezer-safe, container. If you're storing in a zip top plastic bag, try to get as much air out as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Defrosting: For best results, thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving the rice again.
Reheating: If you want to reheat refrigerated rice, you can add a little water to a saucepan and heat it until it's warm, or microwave.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click the questions to see the answer.
- 2 cups uncooked long grain Basmati rice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- If your rice is very sticky once it's cooked, you can rinse and drain before adding the other ingredients.
- Store rice in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze rice in an airtight container for up to 3 months.