If you're avoiding dairy for any reason, whether you've got an allergy or are vegan, you'll want a sour cream substitute. Sour cream is used as an ingredient in so many recipes and as a garnish on so many foods. We have recipes to teach you how to make dairy free sour cream three ways.
Some homemade dairy free sour cream recipes are best for baking, some best for creams and sauces and some best as a topping. Read the recipe cards to see which we recommend for each type of cooking.
Common ingredients for dairy free sour cream recipes include:
- Vinegar: We prefer to use apple cider vinegar in our cashew sour cream.
- Fat: You could use a variety of things as the fat. Our recipes include cashews, non-dairy yogurt, or full fat coconut cream.
- Lemon/Lime: You can use lemon in any of these recipes. We like to use our cashew sour cream as a topping and love the way lime adds to the flavor.
- Salt: Salt is an important ingredient.
Ways to Use Dairy Free Sour Cream
Some of our favorite ways to use one of our sour cream recipes:
- Pineapple Upside Down Mini Cakes: These are an easy, sweet dessert everyone loves.
- Vegetarian Tacos: Here are some of our favorite vegetarian taco recipes.
- Crock Pot Taco Soup: Use as a dairy free garnish in this taco soup.
- Cabbage Wrapped Fish Tacos: Use a dollop on these fish tacos.
- Dill Dip: Perfect sour cream dill dip for veggies!
- Cranberry Jello Salad: Great way to make this dessert vegan.
- Pumpkin Apple Muffins: Baking these muffins with sour cream makes them more moist.
- Gingerbread Cupcakes: Make these delicious cupcakes vegan by using our sour cream.
Coconut Cream Sour Cream
- ½ cup coconut cream from full fat can of coconut milk Refrigerate canned coconut milk for 8 hours. Skim the cream from the top.
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- Combine coconut cream and lemon juice by stirring together gently. Do not over mix.
- Microwave for a few seconds until soft. Do not overheat. You do not want it to melt.
- Stir in the salt.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Cashew Sour Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews Soak for at least 3-4 hours if you don't have a high power blender.
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Drain soaked cashews.
- Combine ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth and creaming. Add additional water, if needed.
- Taste. Add more lemon juice or salt if desired.
- Optional: add cilantro.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before use.
Non-Dairy Yogurt Sour Cream
- 6 oz SO Delicious Dairy Free Plain Greek Style Yogurt
- ¾ tsp lemon juice
- Put yogurt in a fine mesh strainer and drain off excess liquid.
- Combine yogurt and lemon juice together in a glass jar or other small container. Cover.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.