Whether you call these pan au chocolat, mini chocolate filled croissants or chocolate puff pastries, these are one of the easiest desserts you can make! These mini chocolate puff pastries are homemade without hours of work. These delicious small pastries will be a staple in your home.
These make a great holiday dessert, breakfast sweet treat or just a little something to make the family on a weeknight. A little oven baked chocolate puff pastry roll is just what a stressful midweek needs.
MINI CHOCOLATE PUFF PASTRY INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these ingredients for this easy recipe in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store! If this is your first time making this delicious recipe you might want to read the possible variations before deciding on your ingredients.
- PUFF PASTRY: Buy these premade! You can always make your own if you're feeling ambitious! We prefer the Pepperidge Farms puff pastry you can find in the freezer section of your local grocery store. If you can't find it you could always try crescent dough and make mini croissants.
- FILLING: Use any kind of chocolate you like. We tried many different types and found the Hershey's Special Dark melted and tasted the best. In a pinch you can use chocolate chips. We do not recommend using candy melts.
Full ingredient list in recipe card below.
Enjoy this great recipe as an addition to a tasty meal, special family dinner or dinner party with these other recipes:
- Main Dish: Dutch Oven Pot Roast – This classic side dish is easy to make and full of flavor!
- Side Dish: Roasted Brussels Sprouts– This classic side dish is colorful and full of flavor!
- Bread: Pizza Dough Garlic Knots – Dip these in your marinara! YUM!
- Drink: Blackberry Cocktail – Delicious alcoholic or non-alcoholic versions.
- knife or pastry cutter
- basting brush
- cutting board
- baking sheet (sheet pan)
- parchment paper (optional)
Follow the full instructions and kitchen tips and quick tips for the best way to make this recipe. Don't forget to check the prep time and cook time in the recipe card below before you begin.
PREHEAT OVEN: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper and set aside.
THAW PASTRY: Remove puff pastry sheets from the freezer and allow to thaw for at least 15 minutes before working with them.
CUT PASTRY: Unfold one sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface or parchment paper. Cut into 8 equal pieces.
ADD CHOCOLATE: Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the dark chocolate in the center of each puff pastry section. You could also try semi-sweet chocolate chips or bittersweet chocolate.
MAKE EGG WASH: Prepare the egg wash by whisking together in a small bowl the egg (including egg yolk) and 1 tablespoon of room temperature water.
SEAL AND BRUSH: Fold the sides of the pastry over the chocolate and wrap the top piece over the side and press into the bottom of the packet to seal. You can add a bit of egg wash between the pastry on the seam side where you are sealing it to help hold it together. Place folded pastries on prepared cookie sheet and brush top of each puff pastry square with egg wash. Brush sides as well.
BAKE: Bake for about 14-15 minutes, until the puff pastry is golden brown.
REPEAT: Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry dough.
DUST WITH SUGAR: Dust with powdered sugar and serve. Pastries can be served warm or cold.
Storing your food properly is important to prevent spoiling or food poisoning.
Store: Store mini chocolate puff pastries in an airtight container or ziploc bag and store on the counter for up to 2 days if you can't eat it the next day.
Freeze: Store in an airtight, freezer safe, container. If you're storing in a zip top plastic bag, try to get as much air out as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click the questions to see the answer.
- 17.3 oz. package puff pastry sheets
- 4 - 1.55 oz. Hershey’s dark chocolate candy bars
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove puff pastry sheets from the freezer and allow to thaw for at least 15 minutes before working with them.
- Unfold one sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Break candy bars into sections - there should be four sections in each candy bar.
- Place the chocolate in the center of each puff pastry section.
- Prepare the egg wash by whisking together the egg and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Fold the sides of the pastry over the chocolate and wrap the top piece over the side and press into the bottom of the packet to seal. You can add a bit of egg wash between the pastry where you are sealing it to help hold it together.
- Place folded pastries on prepared cookie sheet and brush tops and sides with egg wash.
- Bake for about 14-15 minutes, until the puff pastry is golden brown.
- Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry dough.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve. Pastries can be served warm or cold.
MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Chocolate Dipped Oreo Penguin Cookies
- Easy Lasagna
- Mini Chocolate Puff Pastries
- Air Fryer Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Instant Pot Carnitas