Whether you call these pan au chocolat, mini chocolate filled croissants or chocolate puff pastries, these are one of the easiest desserts you can make! These mini chocolate puff pastries are homemade without hours of work. These delicious small pastries will be a staple in your home.
These make a great holiday dessert, breakfast sweet treat or just a little something to make the family on a weeknight. A little oven baked chocolate puff pastry roll will taste great anytime.
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe
✔️ Store bought puff pastry dough is easy to work with. Just unroll them and cut them to the size you need.
✔️ We've made these dozens of times to get them just right! Follow our great tips for perfect mini pastries every time!
✔️ No complicated ingredients! With just a few store bought ingredients these take very little effort for a HUGE reward.
MINI CHOCOLATE PUFF PASTRY INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these ingredients for this easy recipe in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store! If this is your first time making this delicious recipe you might want to read the possible variations before deciding on your ingredients. Ingredient amounts in recipe card below.
- PUFF PASTRY: Buy these premade! You can always make your own if you're feeling ambitious! We prefer the Pepperidge Farms puff pastry you can find in the freezer section of your local grocery store. If you can't find it you could always try crescent dough and make mini croissants.
- FILLING: Use any kind of chocolate you like. We tried many different types and found the Hershey's Special Dark melted and tasted the best. In a pinch you can use chocolate chips. We do not recommend using candy melts.
- TOPPING: You'll need an egg and water to make an egg wash before baking. Once cooked, top with powdered sugar.
PUFF PASTRY DESSERT RECIPE VARIATIONS
Consider some of these variations for a change of flavor for your mini puff pastry:
FILL with strawberries, peaches, raspberries, mixed berries, cherry pie filling, apple pie filling (like an apple turnover), jam, mixed chocolate (layer with white chocolate, dark chocolate and milk chocolate), banana and nutella, peanut butter and chocolate, or cream cheese filling.
TOP with whipped cream, a scoop of ice cream, pecans, slices of almond cinnamon and sugar, chocolate drizzle or glaze.
Follow the full instructions and kitchen tips and quick tips for the best way to make this recipe. Don't forget to check the prep time and cook time in the recipe card below before you begin.
PREHEAT OVEN: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper and set aside.
THAW PASTRY: Remove puff pastry sheets from the freezer and allow to thaw for at least 15 minutes before working with them.
CUT PASTRY: Unfold one sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface or parchment paper. Cut into 8 equal pieces.
ADD CHOCOLATE: Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the dark chocolate in the center of each puff pastry section. You could also try semi-sweet chocolate chips or bittersweet chocolate.
MAKE EGG WASH: Prepare the egg wash by whisking together in a small bowl the egg (including egg yolk) and 1 tablespoon of room temperature water.
SEAL AND BRUSH: Fold the sides of the pastry over the chocolate and wrap the top piece over the side and press into the bottom of the packet to seal. You can add a bit of egg wash between the pastry on the seam side where you are sealing it to help hold it together. Place folded pastries on prepared cookie sheet and brush top of each puff pastry square with egg wash. Brush sides as well.
BAKE: Bake for about 14-15 minutes, until the puff pastry is golden brown.
REPEAT: Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry dough.
DUST WITH SUGAR: Dust with powdered sugar and serve. Pastries are best served warm.
⚠️ TIPS FOR THE BEST CHOCOLATE PUFF PASTRIES
✔️ Dark or milk chocolate will work for these. Hershey’s brand works well. We tried a couple other brands of chocolate bar/varieties and the chocolate leaked from the pastry packet and burned. Hershey’s bars are easy to use because they are already sectioned off. Just snap into four equal sections.
✔️ Sealing the wrapped dough onto the underside of the pastry helps these to maintain a symmetrical shape when cooking. Brush the edges you're going to seal with the egg wash. Then use your fingers to press the edges sealed.
✔️ Place pastries on baking sheet sealed side down. We've had the best luck with these turning out perfectly when the seam is well sealed and tucked under the bottom. While cooking, the pastry will puff up and the seam may begin to separate some. If it does this, don't worry, it will still taste great!
Storing your food properly is important to prevent spoiling or food poisoning.
Store: Store mini chocolate puff pastries in an airtight container or ziploc bag and store on the counter for up to 2 days if you can't eat it the next day.
Freeze: Store in an airtight, freezer safe, container. If you're storing in a zip top plastic bag, try to get as much air out as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
MORE MINI DESSERT RECIPES
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If you want to reheat the chocolate filled puff pastries just reheat the oven and heat for a few minutes until the pastry is warm. Do not microwave.
Yes, you can! They will be a bit more like a mini pie than a puffy pastry but will still be very tasty.
- 17.3 oz. package puff pastry sheets
- 4 - 1.55 oz. Hershey’s dark chocolate candy bars
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove puff pastry sheets from the freezer and allow to thaw for at least 15 minutes before working with them.
- Unfold one sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Break candy bars into sections - there should be four sections in each candy bar.
- Place the chocolate in the center of each puff pastry section.
- Prepare the egg wash by whisking together the egg and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Fold the sides of the pastry over the chocolate and wrap the top piece over the side and press into the bottom of the packet to seal. You can add a bit of egg wash between the pastry where you are sealing it to help hold it together.
- Place folded pastries on prepared cookie sheet and brush tops and sides with egg wash.
- Bake for about 14-15 minutes, until the puff pastry is golden brown.
- Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry dough.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve. Pastries can be served warm or cold.