Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Hand Pies cooked in the air fryer are an easy 3 ingredient dessert that is snack size, almost mess free, and has just the right amount of filling.
For anyone who loves desserts, specifically pies and cobblers, this may be your newest favorite! You never have to worry about strawberries being in season, because you can grab the filling anytime.
These also make great Valentine's Day treats and are even good for patriotic holidays like Independence Day or Memorial Day, because of their festive color, your tablescape will definitely pop.
CHOCOLATE DIPPED STRAWBERRY HAND PIE INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these ingredients for this easy dessert recipe in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store! If this is your first time making this delicious recipe you might want to read the possible variations before deciding on your ingredients.
- Crust: Use a refrigerated pie dough (crust) or a frozen pie crust, defrosted.
- Filling: strawberry pie filling
- Dip: chocolate chips
Want to use fresh strawberries? Check out these Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies that are refreshing and light for the warmer months.
Need more Valentine's Day ideas? Try these chocolate strawberry muffins.
Click the tabs to see possible substitutions for each of these ingredients.
DIFFERENT FLAVORED PIE FILLING:
You can choose any pie filling you would like, so the options are endless. Use a canned pie filling for best and easiest results.
Melt white chocolate chips or wafers for dipping.
Follow the full instructions and kitchen tips and quick tips for the best way to make this hand pie recipe. Don't forget to check the prep time and cook time in the recipe card below before you begin.
PREPARE PIE CRUST: Remove pie crust from packaging and allow it to come to room temperature, which should take about 30 minutes. On parchment paper or a floured surface, unroll one crust carefully so the thickness stays the same (do not roll thinner).
CUT PIE CRUST: Use a 4-inch round or scalloped cookie (biscuit) cutter to make as many pie rounds as possible. You should have about 12 total from both crusts.
ADD PIE FILLING: Use a spoon to add the strawberry filling to the center of 6 pie crusts.
CUT SLITS: For the remaining six crusts, cut three small slits in the top to allow the steam to escape while baking. If the steam has no where to go, the seals my bust and leak out the strawberries.
USE WATER TO SEAL: On the pie pieces you just made slits in, brush them with water lightly, and place them over the pie filling, wet side down.
SEAL EDGES: Use your fingers to seal the edges by pressing down gently so the sides are squished together.
PREPARE AIR FRYER: Spray your air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray or place a parchment paper liner in the bottom.
BAKING TIME: Add the strawberry-filled hand pies to the air fryer basket, make sure they don't touch. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees or until they are crispy and golden brown. Repeat as needed for each batch.
MELTING THE CHOCOLATE: In a microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips. Use the defrost setting (50% power) and microwave in 30-second increments. Stir between each time. Heat until the chocolate is smooth and melted.
DIPPING THE PIES: Layout a piece of parchment paper. Dip each strawberry hand pie into the melted chocolate. Tap on the side of the bowl to allow the excess chocolate to drip off.
ALLOWING PIES TO SET: Place the dipped pies onto the parchment paper to allow the chocolate to set before serving. If the room temperature is cooler, they will set up pretty quickly. You can also refrigerate them for a bit if you need them faster.
Storing your food properly is important to prevent spoiling or food poisoning.
Refrigerate: Store in an airtight container or ziploc bag and refrigerate or store on the counter for up to 3 days if you can't eat it the next day.
Freeze: Store in an airtight, freezer safe, container. If you're storing in a zip top plastic bag, try to get as much air out as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months. If you are going to freeze the pies, freeze them uncooked and without being dipped in chocolate.
Defrosting: A great way to defrost is in the refrigerator overnight.
Reheating: Once the pies have been dipped in chocolate they cannot be reheated or the chocolate will melt.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click the questions to see the answer.
- 1 21 oz. can strawberry pie filling
- 1 package of two refrigerated pie crusts
- Water for sealing crusts
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Lay pie crusts flat on a sheet of parchment paper. Let them sit until they are room temperature.
- Use a round or scalloped cutter to cut out as many rounds from each crust as possible. We used a 4-inch round biscuit cutter to make 12 total pie crust rounds from the 2 crusts. (Gather any excess dough and use a rolling pin to re-roll the dough to the same thickness so that you can cut out additional crusts.)
- Using a spoon, place strawberry pie filling into the center of 6 pie crusts.
- Cut three small slits in the center of the remaining six crusts. These allow the steam to escape during baking so the seals remain closed.
- Brush the top crust lightly with water and place, wet side down, over the crust with pie filling. Using your fingers, press the edges together. Then carefully roll them up together and gently squish to seal.
- Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray. Bake in the air fryer at 350°F. Work in batches as needed (we were able to fit 4 pies at once in our air fryer. )
- Bake about 10 minutes, until crusts are golden and flakey. If cooking more or less hand pies time may vary.
- In a bowl, melt the chocolate chips by heating on the defrost setting (50% power) in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time. Stir the chocolate chips between each interval. Heat until the chocolate chips are melted and smooth. Be careful not to overheat.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper out for your hand pies. Using your hands, dip each little pie into the melted chocolate, tapping any excess off before putting them onto the parchment paper to set.
- Chocolate will set if the room temperature is cool. You can also place them in the refrigerator to set more quickly.
MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Air Fryer Naan Pizza
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Fried Fish Tacos
- Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Air Fryer Cookie for One