Turtle Hand Pies are made with Ghiradelli chocolate squares, gooey caramel chunks, and freshly chopped pecans wrapped in a flaked glazed crust.
We really love making full size pies, but being able to eat a hand pie is so much more convenient, and these are really cute!
You can make turtle hand pies in the oven or air fryer, we have included instructions for both, and each is delicious.
These little treats are easy enough to make on a weeknight or to serve on a holiday or special occasion with a side of vanilla ice cream.
To make things easy we are using refrigerated pie crusts, but if you want a good recipe for a homemade crust this one is the best!
TURTLE HAND PIE INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these ingredients for this easy recipe in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store! If this is your first time making this delicious recipe you might want to read the possible variations before deciding on your ingredients.
- Crust: Use a refrigerated pie crust or a frozen pie crust, defrosted.
- Filling: chopped pecans, caramel, dark chocolate
- Glaze: powdered sugar, milk, corn syrup
MORE HAND PIES YOU'LL LOVE
- sharp knife or pastry cutter
- basting brush
- cutting board
- baking sheet (sheet pan)
- parchment paper (optional)
Follow the full instructions and kitchen tips and quick tips for the best way to make this hand pie recipe. Don't forget to check the prep time and cook time in the recipe card below before you begin.
PREPARE PIE CRUST: Sit out both of the pie crusts for 30 minutes to an hour so they come to room temperature. Flour the counter, and roll out the crusts.
CUT PIE CRUST: Use a 4-inch cookie cutter to cut out 12 circles from the two crusts. Use a rolling pin to roll the scraps to make additional pie crusts.
ADD CHOCOLATE: Place a piece of chocolate in the center of each circle ( 6 total because the others will be used for the top of the pies).
ADD CARAMEL & NUTS: Cut the caramel squares in half, and place the halves side by side on top of the chocolate. Top with a teaspoon of chopped pecans.
CUT SLITS: Make three small slits on the pie dough you are going to use to cover the filling.
BRUSH WITH WATER: Use a basting brush to gently apply a little water on the sides you make the slits in.
SEAL EDGES: Place top pie crust, align the edges, and press to seal all the way around.
PLACE IN AIR FRYER BASKET: Add as many turtle hands pies as you can to the air fryer basket while leaving room in between each one. These shouldn't stick to your basket, but just in case you can use cooking spray before you add the pies.
COOKING TIME: Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees or until they are golden brown and flakey.
MAKE GLAZE: While the hand pies are cooking, combine the powdered sugar, milk, and corn syrup in a medium bowl and whisk together.
FINISH: After the pies are finished cooking, transfer them to a cooling rack and immediately brush them with the homemade glaze. Repeat the air frying process for the remaining pies.
Storing your food properly is important to prevent spoiling or food poisoning.
Refrigerate: Store in an airtight container or ziploc bag and refrigerate or store on the counter for up to 3 days if you can't eat it the next day.
Freeze: Store in an airtight, freezer safe, container. If you're storing in a zip top plastic bag, try to get as much air out as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Defrosting: A great way to defrost is in the refrigerator overnight.
Reheating: These hand pies are delicious when eaten warm. The caramel can harden too much and be difficult to chew when the hand pies are cold. Reheat hand pies in the air fryer or microwave, just until warm.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click the questions to see the answer.
Hand Pie Ingredients:
- 1 package of two refrigerated pie crusts
- 4 oz. Ghirardelli dark chocolate bar - this breaks evenly into 6 squares
- 6 caramel squares
- About ½ cup chopped pecans
- Water for sealing crusts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ⅛ cup whole milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons corn syrup
- Bring pie crusts to room temperature 30-60 minutes before making pies.
- Unroll pie crust onto a floured countertop. Cut out 12 circles from the two crusts using a 4” fluted biscuit cutter. Gather scraps and re-roll to make additional crusts so that you have 12 total.
- For each pie, center a chocolate square on a crust circle. Slice a caramel square in half and place the two halves side by side on top of the chocolate. Mound 1-2 teaspoons of chopped pecans over the chocolate and caramel.
- Cut small slices for venting into a second pie crust circle and brush with water. Place the moistened crust over the filled bottom piece. Align the edges and press them together well to seal all the way around the pie.
- Fold up the outer edges to provide a tighter seal - this also makes an attractive edge on the hand pies.
- Space four hand pies in the basket of the air fryer (or as many as you can fit while leaving a couple inches around each pie).. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- While the hand pies are baking, whisk together the ingredients for the glaze.
- Remove the pies from the air fryer when they are golden and flakey. Place them on a cooling rack and immediately brush with glaze.
- Leave hand pies to set and dry (about 15 minutes).