Caramel Apple Cheesecake Hand Pies are crispy and flaky every time you bake them in your air fryer. You may think that making pies could be hard, but we promise with these simple ingredients, including a premade pie crust, they will be ready in no time.
These little tasty hand pies are a twist on traditional apple pie. The caramel has a flavor profile, that as you know, just goes well with apple. Not to mention when you combine a cheesecake filling and a homemade glaze, you get the ultimate dessert. If you serve the apple pies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream we won't tell anyone!
If you are interested in baking your own pie crust, you will love the one we make.
CARAMEL APPLE CHEESECAKE HAND PIE INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these ingredients for this easy air fryer dessert recipe in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store! If this is your first time making this delicious recipe you might want to read the possible variations before deciding on your ingredients.
- Pie: refrigerated pie crusts, water for sealing
- Filling: apple pie filling, cream cheese, sugar, egg, caramel bits or squares
- Glaze: powdered sugar, milk, corn syrup
These are some popular variations of this tasty recipe. If you make any substitutions or additions to the recipe make sure you write them down for the next time you make it. Or try this apple pie pull apart bread recipe.
- CHERRY: Try this delicious cherry cheesecake hand pie variation.
- BLUEBERRY: These blueberry hand pies are a great summer dessert.
- CHOCOLATE DIPPED: Dip your hand pies in chocolate like these chocolate dipped strawberry hand pies.
- TURTLE: If you love turtle candies you'll love these chocolate, caramel, and pecan turtle hand pies.
TOOLS AND SUPPLIES
Prepare your work surface and gather these kitchen tools and supplies before you begin this delicious, easy-to-make recipe so you don't waste extra time trying to find things you need.
- sharp knife or pastry cutter
- basting brush
- cutting board
- air fryer
- mixing bowl
- electric mixer
- parchment paper (optional)
- rolling pin (optional)
Follow the full instructions and kitchen tips and quick tips for the best way to make this recipe. Don't forget to check the prep time and cook time in the recipe card below before you begin.
THAW PIE CRUST: Allow the premade pie crust to come to room temperature. Remove it from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before you are ready to start.
MAKE CHEESECAKE FILLING: Combine the cream cheese, egg, and sugar, in a medium size mixing bowl, and beat together with an electric mixer until it's smooth and creamy.
CUT OUT PIES: Cut out 6 hand pies from each crust using a 4-inch cookie cutter. You should get about 4-5 from each crust. Make the extras from the scraps by re-rolling it out to cut it.
ADD CHEESECAKE FILLING: Add a spoonful of cheesecake filling in the middle of 6 of the pie pieces. Try to keep it in the center of each circle if possible.
ADD CARAMEL & APPLE: Place a small amount of caramel pieces on top of the cheesecake, followed by a spoonful of apple pie filling on each of the 6 pie cutouts. If you would like, you could sprinkle a little cinnamon in for extra flavor.
SLIT THE CRUST: Make three small slits on the pie crusts that do not have filling on them. These act like a vent, so the pies don't break their seal while cooking.
BRUSH WITH WATER: Dip your pastry brush in a little bit of water, then brush the vented pieces gently.
SEAL EDGES: Place the side of the pie that is wet with water down on the filling, while lining up the edges.
FINISH: Pinch the sides together all the way around each pie, so that they are sealed nicely.
PLACE IN AIR FRYER: Add the apple hand pies to the air fryer. Make sure there is a little bit of room between each one. If desired, line the basket with a parchment paper liner before placing the pies in.
BAKING TIME: Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until the pies are golden brown and flakey.
PREPARE THE GLAZE: In a small mixing bowl, combine the powdered sugar, milk, and corn syrup. Whisk together until the glaze is smooth.
GLAZE THE PIES: As soon as the little pies come out of the air fryer, you want to glaze them while they are warm. Dip your clean pastry brush into the homemade glaze, then gently brush each one. Place the caramel apple hand pies on the a piece of parchment pepper or a wire (cooling) rack while it dries.
Storing your food properly is important to prevent spoiling or food poisoning.
Countertop: Store in an airtight container or ziploc bag and store on the counter for up to 3 days.
Reheat: Use the microwave, air fryer, or toaster oven to reheat leftovers.
Defrosting: A great way to defrost is in the refrigerator overnight.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click the questions to see the answer.
Hand Pie Ingredients:
- 1 package of two refrigerated pie crusts
- 21 oz. can apple pie filling
- 6 tablespoons caramel bits - or caramel squares cut into pieces
- Water for sealing crusts
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
- 8 ounces cream cheese - softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ⅛ cup whole milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons corn syrup
- Bring pie crusts to room temperature by setting them on the counter about 30 minutes prior to preparing hand pies.
- Beat together the softened cream cheese, sugar, and egg until well blended to make the cheesecake filling. Set aside.
- Unroll the pie crusts and use a 4” biscuit or cookie cutter to cut out 6 rounds from each crust. We can typically get 4 or 5 rounds from each crust and then need to gather together the scraps and re roll to cut out the rest.
- For each pie, place one spoonful of the cheesecake filling in the center of a pie crust round. Mound a spoonful of the caramel bits over the cream cheese mixture and top with a scoop of apple pie filling.
- Cut two or three slits into a second pie crust piece (these will allow for venting). Moisten the top pie crust with water by brushing with a wet pastry brush. Place the top crust (wet side down) onto the filled crust and press firmly to seal around the edges.
- Turn up the edges around the hand pie for a decorative finish - this also helps maintain a good seal.
- Place four hand pies (or however many fit) into the air fryer basket. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes until the hand pies are golden and flakey.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the glaze ingredients until smooth. Brush the glaze over WARM hand pies as soon as they come out of the air fryer.
- Allow the glaze to set.
MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Air Fryer Naan Pizza
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Fried Fish Tacos
- Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Air Fryer Cookie for One