A pumpkin pie recipe is the quintessential Thanksgiving dessert recipe but you don't have to wait until the holidays to make it! In fact, these mini pumpkin pie cupcakes are perfect all year round. They don't have to be a holiday dessert. They are easy and cute and make the perfect after dinner dessert.
Make it a Meal!
Turn this recipe into a whole meal because mini pumpkin pie can be a meal but it doesn't have to be! It pairs well with:
- Main Dish: – This golden, herbed twist on the classic is tender and delicious!
- Side Dish: Roasted Brussels Sprouts – These roasted brussels sprouts with pecans and dried cranberries are full of flavor.
- Side Dish: Creamy Mashed Potatoes – Perfect mashed potatoes every time!
- Bread: – This is the perfect side with almost every meal.
- Drink: – This is one of my all time favorite sangria recipes. Use the rest of the wine leftover from your marinara recipe.
What is a Mini Pumpkin Pie Cupcake?
It's a little pumpkin pie recipe without a crust! This little Thanksgiving dessert is the perfect pumpkin pie fix. It's a bit more solid than most pumpkin pies. Somewhat of a cross between cake and pie, thus the pumpkin pie cupcake! You'll want to make these because they're tasty and the perfect size holiday dessert.
BLACKBERRY DUMP CAKE
Prep Time: 5 min
Total Time: 40 mins
MINI PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
- Spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger are typical pumpkin pie spices. And don't forget the salt!
- The Usual Baking Suspects: vanilla, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, eggs and brown sugar are here for the cupcake party.
- Pumpkin: Pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling).
- Evaporated Milk: The secret ingredient here is the evaporated milk. This sweet ingredient makes all the difference.
Equipment Needed for Mini Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
Good news because no special equipment is needed for this pumpkin pie dessert. You'll need:
- whisk to mix the batter
- measuring cups/spoons
- spatula for scraping the sides of the bowl
- cupcake pan
- cupcake wrappers
- Chocolate and pumpkin are one of my favorite flavor combinations. You can melt some chocolate and pour it into each cupcake then swirl it gently before baking.
- For the last step before baking, toss in a half a cup of mini chocolate chips. I think more Thanksgiving dessert needs chocolate!
- Add a crumble to the top! Mix ⅓ cup light brown sugar, ½ tsp ground cinnamon, 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, ⅔ cup all-purpose flour together. Gently spoon it on top of the pumpkin pie cupcakes halfway through cooking.
Optional Toppings for Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
- Whipped Cream: You can never go wrong with whipped cream on a mini pumpkin pie! Every holiday dessert needs whipped cream!
- Drizzle Chocolate Syrup: Make this delicious chocolate syrup to drizzle over the top.
- Pecans: Drop some crumbled pecans over the top of the whipped cream.
DRY BRINE TURKEY
The secret to a perfect roasted turkey.
CREAMY MASHED POTATOES
Don't miss our top tip for perfect potatoes!
How to Make Mini Pumpkin Pie Gluten Free
As I always recommend, just swap out the all purpose flour for your favorite gluten free flour mix. My daughter has Celiac Disease so we usually use King Arthur's. It works well for us. Also check to make sure your baking powder and other ingredients are gluten free.
How to Make Vegan or Dairy Free
The only ingredient you will need to substitute is the evaporated milk. I have not tried this but it is most often recommended to use your favorite milk substitute (soy milk, for example) and warm it until it is 50% evaporated.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes:
Sift together dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. You can't over mix this step so don't worry.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with parchment paper muffin cups OR baking spray. (Do not use regular paper muffin cups.)
In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and evaporated milk.
Gently stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Do not overmix.
Fill prepared muffin cups about half full. Do not over fill.
Bake for 20 minutes. Cupcakes will puff up during baking, but will settle as they cool.
Cool completely and then chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator before topping with whipped cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store these in an airtight container and store for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. This is perfect for when you want to make your Thanksgiving dessert ahead of time.
You can wrap these tightly in plastic wrap and freeze in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator.
Substitute the all purpose flour for your favorite gluten free flour mix. This works for any pumpkin pie recipe. Just use a gluten free crust if your pie has a crust.
Use your favorite milk or milk-free milk product. Warm until evaporated about 50%.
PERFECT APPLE PIE
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 40 min
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 15 oz. pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- whipped cream - for topping
- Sift together dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with parchment paper muffin cups OR baking spray. (Do not use regular paper muffin cups.)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and evaporated milk.
- Gently stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Fill prepared muffin cups about half full.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cupcakes will puff up during baking, but will settle as they cool.
- Cool completely and then chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator before topping with whipped cream.
HOT SPINACH DIP
Total Time: 45 min
PARMESAN FRENCH BREAD
Prep Time: 5 min
SPIKED APPLE CIDER
Prep Time: 10 min