Brussels sprouts get a really bad rap but, when you use the right Brussels sprouts recipe, they're delicious! These roasted Brussels sprouts (often referred to as Brussel sprouts) with roasted pecans and dried cranberries are delicious.
Roasted Brussels sprouts have a nutty and savory, crunchy and soft taste. The combination of flavors of cooked Brussels sprouts with roasted pecans and dried cranberries makes for a really pleasing culinary experience. Keep reading to learn the best tips for how to roast Brussels sprouts.
Make it a Meal!
Turn this Brussels sprouts recipe into a whole meal! It pairs well with:
- Main Dish: – Toss all your other recipes and try this one!
- Side Dish: – If you like potatoes you will want to make these. Put your pot roast on a bead of mashed potatoes.
- Bread: – YUM! This is a great side dish and bread substitute.
- Drink: – This is one of my all time favorite sangria recipes. Use the rest of the wine leftover from your marinara recipe.
- Dessert: – Sweet and sour. These are amazing.
What are Brussels Sprouts?
Brussels sprouts are often called mini cabbages because they look like little cute cabbages. They look like little cute cabbages because they're in the same family.
Brussels sprouts grow on a fibrous stalk. If you buy them on the stalk they are cheaper and will last in the refrigerator a lot longer before you use them.
Perfect Accompaniments With This Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe:
CREAMY MASHED POTATOES
Tips for Cooking Brussels Sprouts
- Wash, dry and trim the Brussels sprouts. You'll chop off and then discard the woody stems at the bottom of the sprouts. One of the main tips when you learn how to roast Brussels sprouts is to make sure you cut them in half to reduce their bitterness.
- Don't overcook. You might have heard people saying Brussels sprouts are stinky. That can become stinky if you overcook. They won't taste as good either. So skip the 1980's version of Brussels sprouts and don't overcook!
- Choose Brussels sprouts that feel tightly compacted and are hard when squeezed.
- Smaller sprouts tend to taste sweeter, use those if you have a choice.
- Brussels Sprouts: Use fresh Brussels sprouts, washed and dried.
- Pecans: Pecans make a great addition to this recipe. Keep them whole or crumble them up if you prefer. Roasted pecans provide the perfect texture with cooked Brussels sprouts.
- Cranberries: Dried cranberries make a great flavor combination with the rest of the ingredients.
- Oil + Salt + Pepper: You don't need strong seasonings to make these taste good!
- Slice uncooked bacon into 1" pieces. Throw them on top of the pan before you roast the Brussels sprouts. Everyone loves cooked Brussels sprouts with bacon!
- Drizzle a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar on your brussels sprouts before you toss them.
- Grate some fresh parmesan on top right when they come out of the oven.
PARMESAN ROASTED BROCCOLI
CHEESY CAULIFLOWER BREADSTICKS
How to Roast Brussels Sprouts:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Place ½ cup of dried cranberries in a cup of hot water and set aside. (this gives the dried cranberries a little plump)
Wash and trim brussels sprouts. Cut in half.
Toss together brussels sprouts, oil, salt, and pepper.
Spread evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Try not to let them overlap.
Roast for 15 minutes.
Step 7: Remove the pan from the oven, stir, and add the pecans and cranberries (drain the cranberries before adding) and cook for 5 minutes more or until the pecans are lightly toasted.
Serve while they're hot. If you need to keep them warm you can put them in the oven at 150 degrees.
Questions About Roasted Brussels Sprouts
You can store cooled and covered cooked Brussels sprouts in the refrigerator for 3 days. Reheat in the oven.
I do not recommend freezing cooked Brussels sprouts. They will not be as good reheated.
Yes. Double check that your dried cranberries don't have any gluten additives but they should be naturally gluten free as well.
Yes. This recipe is naturally dairy free and vegan.
Cutting Brussels sprouts in half will reduce their bitterness! Don't skip this step!
- Herb Roasted Chicken Recipe: Try this no-fail chicken recipe.
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe: Make these delicious chicken breasts to go with your Brussels sprouts.
- 1 pound brussels sprouts - trimmed
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 cup whole pecans
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place ½ cup of dried cranberries in a cup of hot water and set aside. (this gives the dried cranberries a little plump)
- Toss together brussels sprouts, oil, salt, and pepper. Spread evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, stir, and add the pecans and cranberries (drain the cranberries before adding) and cook for 5 minutes more or until the pecans are lightly toasted.