Dessert just might be my favorite thing to make. I'm a big fan of dessert, in general, but chocolate layered desserts have my heart. I love chocolate. This 4 layer no bake chocolate lasagna recipe is layers of chocolatey and creamy goodness.
When I first told my kids we were having chocolate lasagna they gave me the weirdest looks. Like I was going to force them to eat the strangest pasta dish, ever. So, in case you're thinking of noodles like they were, let me put your mind at ease because there were no noodles used in the making of the chocolate lasagna.
Make it a Meal!
Turn this chocolate lasagna into a whole meal because it pairs well with:
- Main Dish: – This classic marinara is to die for!
- Side Dish: – One of my favorite ways to eat vegetables.
- Salad: – This classic side dish is colorful and full of flavor.
- Bread: – Dip these in your marinara! YUM!
- Drink: – This is one of my all time favorite sangria recipes. Use the rest of the wine leftover from your marinara recipe.
More Delicious Desserts
PINEAPPLE MINI CAKES
What is Chocolate Lasagna?
It's a layered chocolate dessert. There's no deep history for this one. Americans love layered desserts and this is a winner! This idea might have originated by a popular American Italian restaurant chain.
- Cookie Crust Layer: I usually use Chocolate Oreos but you can use any brand of sandwich cookies in any flavor. You'll mix them with salted butter and sugar.
- Cream Layer: You'll need sugar, cream cheese, and heavy whipping cream for this layer.
- Pudding Layer: Use instant chocolate pudding, whole milk and cool whip.
- Toppings: Use mini chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips and chocolate syrup to top your chocolate lasagna.
- Make it dairy free: See instructions below.
- Make it minty: Use mint Oreos as your cookie crust and add ½ tsp of peppermint extract into your pudding layer mixture. Yum! You can even sprinkle some crushed up candy cane on top.
- Make it berry: I love chocolate and fresh berries. Add some fresh raspberries on top or use a .
- Make it gluten free: See instructions below.
How to Make Chocolate Lasagna Gluten Free
Making this dessert gluten free is rather painless. You can buy gluten free sandwich cookies at most larger grocery stores, or online. Our favorite brand is Glutino. You should also double check to make sure your pudding mix is gluten free.
How to Make Chocolate Lasagna Dairy Free
This is a pretty heavily dairy laden dessert but it is possible to make it dairy free. It isn't possible to do vegan unless you use a different type of cookie crust or buy vegan cookie crumbles.
To omit the dairy make these substitutions:
- Butter - Use a non-dairy butter like margarine or which ever butter spread you prefer.
- Whipping Cream & Cream Cheese Layer - Use a non-dairy whipped topping as your layer.
- Pudding Mix - Use a non-dairy milk like oat milk.
- Toppings - Use non-dairy chocolate chips and syrup to top the chocolate lasagna.
How to Make No Bake Chocolate Lasagna:
Step 1: Butter a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
Step 2: In the bowl of a food processor, crush chocolate sandwich cookies until cookies are evenly crumbled into small pieces. This won't take long.
Step 3: Add two tablespoons of sugar and the melted butter and pulse until combined.
Step 4: Press the cookie/butter mixture into the greased baking dish and place in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Chill while you prepare the next layer.
Step 5: With a hand mixer or whisk, beat together cream cheese, granulated sugar, and 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream until fluffy and combined.
Add in 1 cup of the frozen whipped topping and combine.
Step 6: Spread the cream cheese mixture over the chilled cookie crumbs and return baking dish into the freezer for another 10 minutes.
The freezing between layers will help prevent the layers from mixing when you spread a new layer on top.
Step 7: Beat or whisk together pudding mix, 2 ¼ cups of milk, and 1 additional cup of frozen whipped topping. Mix until mixture thickens.
See the photo for what the thickened mixture should look like. You can always taste a little as well!
Step 8: Spread pudding layer over the chilled cream cheese layer.
Are you getting excited yet?
Step 9: Gently top with remaining whipped topping. Your layers will want to mix if you aren't careful.
That's not the end of the world! Don't worry if they mix a little.
Step 10: Sprinkle with dark/mini/white chocolate chips, crushed Oreos or whatever else you'd like.
Step 11: Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow layers to firm up before serving.
Can't eat the whole chocolate lasagna in one sitting? No problem! Follow instructions below for refrigerating or freezing for later.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Absolutely. This is served cold so definitely do make it ahead. Cover your dish and store in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve.
I recommend eating the chocolate lasagna within 3 days.
That's a great question! You can definitely freeze the chocolate lasagna. You'll want to make it in a dish that can go in the freezer. Or transfer the pieces you're freezing into a freezer safe dish. I like to put a piece of parchment paper over the top to prevent ice from building up on top. Then cover with an airtight cover, label, and store up to 3 months. Put in the refrigerator to defrost and eat within 3 days.
- 14.3 ounce package of chocolate sandwich cookies - about 35 cookies
- ⅓ cup salted butter - melted (plus more for greasing pan)
- ½ cup granulated sugar - divided
- 8 oz. cream cheese - softened
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream - milk may be substituted
- 16 ounces Cool Whip - large tub of frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 6.8 ounces instant chocolate pudding - (2 small packages)
- 2 ¼ cups whole milk
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips - optional
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips - optional
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips - optional
- ⅓ cup chocolate syrup - optional
- Butter a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, crush chocolate sandwich cookies until cookies are evenly crumbled into small pieces.
- Add two tablespoons of sugar and the melted butter and pulse until combined.
- Press the cookie/butter mixture into the greased baking dish and place in the freezer for about 10 minutes to chill while you prepare the next layer.
- With a hand mixer or whisk, beat together cream cheese, granulated sugar, and 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream until fluffy and combined. Add in 1 cup of the frozen whipped topping and combine.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the chilled cookie crumbs and return baking dish into the freezer for another 10 minutes.
- Beat or whisk together pudding mix, 2 ¼ cups of milk, and 1 additional cup of frozen whipped topping. Mix until mixture thickens.
- Spread pudding layer over the chilled cream cheese layer.
- Gently top with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with dark/mini/white chocolate chips, crushed Oreos or whatever else you'd like.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow layers to firm up before serving.
- Slice into squares and serve.