If you're looking for a good drink to serve with a Spanish or Italian meal let me recommend sangria. There are many different sangria recipes but this red wine sangria goes well with our marinara sauce or any other bold flavored meal like the chicken in white wine sauce with mushrooms.
You can make a non-alcoholic version of sangria as well! We have substitution recommendations for you below.
What is Sangria?
Sangria is a mixed alcoholic drink originally from Spain. There are red or white sangrias. The color depends on the wine. Red sangria is made with red wine, and white sangria with white wine.
Sangria usually contains:
- Fruit juice, often orange juice.
- Sweeteners such as simple syrup, agave nectar or sugar.
- Sparkling water or soda.
- Sliced fruit including oranges, apples, lemons, pears, limes, pineapple and more.
- Flavored liqueurs, brandy, or cognac.
Other Types of Sangrias
- White Wine Strawberry Sangria: This strawberry sangria is light and refreshing.
- White Wine Peach Sangria: This is another refreshing sangria recipe. The white wine peach sangria also has mango!
- "Best Ever" Red Citrus Sangria: Yum. Once you try our red wine sangria make sure you try this red citrus sangria version!
- Wine: Use your favorite red wine.
- Alcohol: Orange liqueur and brandy really make this delicious Sangria perfect. We used Grand Marnier as the orange liqueur.
- Fruit: Add any fruit you prefer. We recommend apple, orange and strawberries.
- Sugar: Use a simple syrup (homemade) or store bought to sweeten the sangria.
- Bubbles: We love using Sprite.
- Add the juice of a lime to your sangria. Include a sliced up lime as well.
- Use your favorite berries as fruit instead of the apple and oranges.
- Eliminate the simple syrup.
How to Make Sangria Non-Alcoholic
You can make this a virgin sangria by substituting all the alcohol. Here are substitutions we recommend.
- Red Wine: Use grape juice or a sparkling grape juice.
- Grand Marnier (orange liquor): Use ¼ cup of orange juice concentrate.
- Brandy: Use a sweet fruit juice like apple juice.
How to Make Red Wine Sangria:
Slice fruit. You can make it large or small.
Add sliced fruit to a pitcher or punch bowl. Keep in mind you'll need to refrigerate once you mix it all together so your container will need to fit into your refrigerator.
Pour wine into the pitcher.
Add Grand Marnier (orange liqueur), brandy, and simply syrup and stir to combine. You can use a wooden spoon or a swizzle stick.
Step 5: Cover and refrigerate sangria for at least 30 minutes. We recommend refrigerating for at least 2+ hours for best results. Definitely refrigerate before adding ice.
Step 6: Add Sprite (or Club Soda) and ice just before serving.
Serve the red wine sangria over ice in a wine glass, or any type of glass you prefer.
Frequently Asked Questions
A. Sangria can last in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days. After that point it will begin to sour.
A. Yes! Sangria can be frozen. Separate the fruit from the liquid. You can freeze sangria for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator.
- 750 ml red wine - Zinfandel, Pinot Noir,
Garnacha (one standard bottle)
- 1 orange - sliced
- 2 cups strawberries - stems removed
- 1 apple - sliced
- ¼ cup Grand Marnier
- ¼ cup brandy
- ½ cup simple syrup
- 8 oz. Sprite - (or Club Soda)