Air fryer pineapple is a quick and easy way to turn a tasty fresh pineapple into a mouthwatering dessert. Brush freshly sliced pineapple pieces with a butter, sugar and cinnamon mixture and cook them to perfection in the air fryer. Using a ripe and flavorful pineapple is key in this recipe. Need help with picking a perfect pineapple? We have shared all of our favorite tips and tricks on how to pick the best pineapple.
WHAT IS AIR FRYER PINEAPPLE?
Air fryer grilled pineapple is made from fresh pineapple slices that are covered in a sugar, cinnamon and butter mixture and then cooked to perfection in the air fryer. This sweet dessert pineapple is best eaten warm topped with ice cream or as a topping for oatmeal, yogurt, waffles or pancakes.
❤️ WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS PINEAPPLE RECIPE
✔️ Notable: The finished result is sweet and soft. It would be perfectly paired with oatmeal, waffles, french toast, ice cream or eaten alone.
✔️ Main Ingredients: pineapple, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon
✔️ Cooking Method: Air Fryer
✔️ Nutrients: Pineapple is wonderfully nutritious! This is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, and calcium.
✔️ Time: 15 minute cook time. Prep time takes only a few minutes!
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for grilled pineapple, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
You may have all of these sweet dessert pineapple ingredients in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store. See recipe card below for ingredient amounts.
- Pineapple: We highly recommend using fresh, ripe pineapple for this recipe. Do not use frozen or canned pineapple. In case you are not sure how to pick the perfect pineapple, take a look at our How To Tell If A Pineapple Is Ripe post.
- Unsalted Butter: If you only have salted butter that will work as well.
- Brown Sugar: Light or dark brown sugar work well with this recipe. However, you can also substitute other sweeteners like honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar if you prefer.
- Cinnamon: Use ground cinnamon from the spice aisle.
This section shows how to cook pineapple slices in the air fryer. For full step-by-step instructions, photos and nutritional information see the recipe in the recipe card below. You can print the recipe with or without photos.
PREPARE: In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Set aside. Peel, core and cut your pineapple into slices.
COOK: Add pineapple to the air fryer in a single layer and brush with seasoning on all sides. Then air fry at 380°F for 15 minutes, flipping once while cooking.
SERVE: Let the pineapple cool for a couple of minutes, then eat while still warm by itself or topped with ice cream.
Air Fryer – The air fryer works great with this recipe as it makes the cooked pineapple almost taste like it was grilled on the BBQ.
TIPS FOR THE BEST AIR FRYER PINEAPPLE
Follow these tips to make the best sweet dessert pineapple.
✔️ Choose a fresh pineapple. Peel, core and slice it yourself. Don’t use frozen or canned pineapple.
✔️ Cover all sides with seasoning. Brush the cinnamon sugar mixture on all sides of the pineapple pieces.
✔️ Let it rest for a few minutes after cooking. Then eat the air fryer grilled pineapple while it’s warm and tastes the best!
Refrigerate: Let the air fryer grilled pineapple cool completely. Then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze: You can also freeze the air fryer pineapple in a freezer safe container for up to a month. You can even use frozen pineapple slices directly from the freezer for your favorite smoothies.
Defrosting: Defrost in the fridge overnight or let them sit on the counter for a couple of hours.
Reheat: You can reheat the defrosted pineapple slices in the air fryer or microwave.
MORE PINEAPPLE RECIPES
If you love love air fried pineapple you'll enjoy our pineapple upside down mini cake, grilled chipotle chicken kabobs or Andrea's BBQ chicken pineapple kabobs. Stef's pistachio pineapple watergate salad is another summer favorite of ours that takes you right back to your childhood.
To make sure your pineapple recipes come out as flavorful and yummy as possible it is important to pick a ripe pineapple. Read all about the best tips and tricks on how to tell if a pineapple is ripe before heading to the grocery store.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For perfect results every time, here are answers to the most common questions about cooking sweet dessert pineapple.
Yes. Although we much prefer using fresh pineapple for this recipe, it is possible to also use canned pineapple slices. They still turn out super yummy, without the hassle of peeling, coring and cutting a fresh pineapple. So if you are in a hurry, give canned pineapple a try.
Of course. You can try honey, maple syrup, monk fruit sweetener, agave nectar or coconut sugar.
Sweet dessert pineapple is very versatile and can be served many different ways. They taste absolutely wonderful with a scoop of coconut or vanilla ice cream. You can use them as a topping for oatmeal, yogurt, waffles or pancakes. However, they also taste great in smoothies or cocktails.
- 1 pineapple - fresh
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter - melted
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small bowl, mix butter, sugar and cinnamon until well combined.
- Peel, core and slice a pineapple into 8 slices. Optional: cut slices in half.
- Spray an air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place pineapple slices into the air fryer, making sure they don’t touch.
- Using a basting brush, brush the seasoning spread over all sides of the pineapple.
- Cook at 380°F for 15 minutes, flipping once while cooking.
- Serve alone or with ice cream.
- Some air fryers have a pre-heat option. Preheating may reduce the cooking time a little bit but is not necessary, usually.
- Air fryers need space between the food items to circulate and cook properly. Do not overcrowd your air fryer.
- Serve with oatmeal
- Serve with ice cream