If you are a big fan of sweet potatoes you will love this incredibly easy and quick way of cooking them in the air fryer. Air fryer baked sweet potatoes come out with slightly crispy skin and amazingly tender and fluffy centers.
Additionally, baking sweet potatoes in the air fryer is a great way to quickly prepare them for mashing and using them in a casserole. This comes in very handy during Thanksgiving or holiday meal prep.
❤️ WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS BAKED SWEET POTATO RECIPE
✔️ These sweet potatoes turn out incredibly fluffy and pillowy on the inside. They're perfectly baked.
✔️ Time: Total time is only 40 minutes for a medium sized sweet potato.
✔️ Diet: This recipe is vegetarian, gluten free and keto friendly. You can easily make this recipe vegan, by omitting the butter or topping the sweet potatoes with vegan butter or dairy free sour cream instead.
✔️ Main Ingredients: sweet potato, oil, salt
✔️ Cooking Method: air fryer
✔️ Nutrients: vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, calcium
AIR FRYER SWEET POTATOES INGREDIENTS
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for this baked sweet potato air fryer recipe, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Sweet Potatoes: Picking sweet potatoes of similar or equal size ensures that they cook evenly.
- Olive Oil: We love cooking with olive oil or avocado oil.
- Sea Salt: Sea salt or himalayan sea salt are our favorite salts to add as a seasoning on top of these sweet potatoes in the air fryer.
- Butter: Use any type of butter or vegan butter you prefer.
- Chives: These are optional but make a nice garnish. You could also use parsley.
This section shows how to cook sweet potatoes in the air fryer, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, nutritional information, to print the recipe or to have the recipe scaled to double or triple, see the recipe card below.
PREPARE: First, wash, dry and poke holes into the sweet potatoes using a fork. This lets steam escape during the cooking process. Then rub them with oil and season with salt.
COOK: Place in the air fryer and cook at 370°F for 35-45 minutes, depending on the size of the sweet potatoes. Start checking them at the 35 minute mark. If a fork goes into the center easily, they are done.
ADD TOPPINGS: Split the cooked potatoes open lengthwise and fluff the inside using a fork. Top with butter and freshly chopped chives.
Air Fryer – The air fryer works great with this recipe as it makes the outside of the sweet potatoes crispy, while making the inside soft and fluffy.
TIPS FOR THE BEST BAKED SWEET POTATOES
Follow these tips to make the best air fryer roasted vegetables.
✔️ Choose the best sweet potatoes. They should be about the same size and free of sprouts and bruises. Wash and scrub the outside before cooking.
✔️ Do not wrap them in aluminum foil. The foil traps in moisture and makes them soggy.
✔️ Make sure not over or undercook your potatoes. Remove from the air fryer when a fork can be inserted into the center easily, without resistance.
✔️ Toppings: While butter and chives are a quick and delicious topping for your baked sweet potatoes, you can also mix it up a little. We also love topping them with butter, sour cream and shredded cheese or butter, bacon and cheddar cheese. YUM!
Refrigerate: Air fryer baked sweet potato leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. While the skin may not be as crispy, they will still taste just as good.
Freeze: You can freeze baked sweet potatoes for up to a month. Before freezing, make sure your potatoes are completely cold, then put them in an airtight, freezer safe container.
Defrosting: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight or, for faster results, thaw in the microwave.
Reheating: You can reheat sweet potatoes in your air fryer at 400ºF until heated. However, 1-2 minutes in a microwave will also do the trick.
MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For perfect results every time, here are answers to the most common questions about cooking air fryer baked sweet potatoes.
Skip the foil! Wrapping potatoes in foil traps steam, which creates soggy potatoes, instead of crispy ones. We recommend baking them unwrapped and leaving space between them so the hot air can circulated properly.
For vegan baked sweet potatoes, use a vegan butter or dairy free sour cream to top them after cooking.
Sweet potatoes are very nutritious vegetables and healthier than regular baked potatoes. They are rich in fiber and an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium and manganese.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly chopped chives
- Poke holes with a fork in the sweet potatoes.
- Rub with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place in the air fryer basket. Cook at 370°F for 35-45 minutes, depending on the size of the sweet potato.
- Remove from the oven once a fork is able to poke into it without resistance.
- Slice a slit down the middle of the sweet potato. Fluff up the inside of the potato. Top with butter and chives (optional).
- Some air fryers have a pre-heat option. Preheating may reduce the cooking time a little bit but is not necessary, usually.
- Air fryers need space between the food items to circulate and cook properly. Do not overcrowd your air fryer.
- Top with butter and chives
- Top with butter, sour cream and shredded cheese
- Top with butter, bacon and cheddar cheese