Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best. For instance, air fryer asparagus! First of all, we love how asparagus automatically makes any meal more elegant. Most importantly, though, cooking it in the air fryer gives you great tasting results. In this case, perfectly tender and crispy spears (not chewy or mushy) with just the right amount of seasoning. Once you learn how to cook asparagus in the air fryer, we're pretty sure you'll never go back! It might even become your favorite roasted vegetable.
❤️ WHY YOU'LL LOVE AIR FRYER ASPARAGUS
✔️ Easy to cook with minimal cleanup!
✔️ Uses less energy than turning on the oven.
✔️ Cooks quicker than in the oven.
✔️ Perfect light seasoning mixture for a side dish that compliments any main dish.
AIR FRYER ASPARAGUS INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these air fryer asparagus ingredients in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store. See recipe card below for ingredient amounts.
- Oil: Olive oil or avocado oil are both great options.
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper
Asparagus is the perfect roasted vegetable. It makes a perfectly elegant side dish, savory appetizer or healthy snack. It checks all the boxes--vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, low fat and low carb! Now, here are some great ways to dress is up:
- WRAP IN PROSCIUTTO – Before you air fry, wrap one piece of prosciutto (or bacon) around each spear.
- SPRINKLE WITH PARMESAN – Create a saltier, cheesier flavor by sprinkling on parmesan cheese (or pecorino Romano).
- ADD LEMON – To brighten the flavor, add a squeeze of lemon and small amount of lemon zest after cooking. Great for serving with fresh fish.
- SOY SAUCE AND GARLIC - Great for pairing with grilled meats. Before cooking, toss with soy or teriyaki sauce and diced garlic.
If you'd like to print this recipe, scroll down to the recipe card where you can print the recipe or have it scaled to double or triple. You'll also find nutrition information.
PREP ASPARAGUS: Wash asparagus. To trim asparagus, snap the woody ends off or cut with a knife.
OIL AND SEASON: Coat asparagus stalks with oil, garlic powder, pepper, onion powder, and salt.
🔴 TIP: Add your favorite seasonings or spices to taste. Try chili powder, cumin, curry powder, parsley or anything you like. If you use fresh garlic, don’t add it until the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
AIR FRY: Arrange asparagus in air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook at 400°F for 8 minutes.
SERVE: Remove from air fryer and serve.
TIPS FOR THE BEST AIR FRYER ASPARAGUS
✔️ Remove the woody ends of the asparagus. No matter which method you use for cooking, the woody ends are chewy and not great to eat.
✔️ When tossing the asparagus in oil, make sure the tips are covered.
✔️ Remove asparagus from the air fryer when the asparagus is bright green and beginning to get a roasted look. Don't over cook.
Refrigerate: Cooked asparagus can last for 3 to 5 days in the fridge.
Freeze: You can freeze cooked asparagus in covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags, or tightly wrapped in heavy-duty aluminum foil. To reheat it and achieve the same crispiness, simply return it to the air fryer.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH ASPARAGUS
Enjoy this great recipe as a great addition to a full meal with these other recipes:
MORE AIR FRYER VEGETABLE RECIPES
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT ASPARAGUS
Is it not necessary to blanch your asparagus before cooking it in the air fryer. Thicker, woodier stalks may take slightly longer to cook so add a few more minutes to air fryer cooking time.
Beyond a good cleaning to remove any dirt, soaking asparagus is totally unnecessary.
Asparagus is a somewhat delicate vegetable, meaning it can go from crisp to chewy pretty fast. To avoid this, don’t cook it too far in advance. Cook it right before the rest of your meal is ready to eat.
To reheat asparagus in the air fryer, preheat it to 350°F and arrange the asparagus in a single layer in the basket. Lightly spray the asparagus with oil, then heat it for 1-2 minutes. It doesn’t take long to cook so check it after a minute.
- 8 ounces asparagus
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ tspn garlic powder
- ¼ tspn onion powder
- ¼ tspn salt
- ¼ tspn pepper
- Thin asparagus will cook much quicker. Reduce your cooking time.
- Optional: when your asparagus is done, sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan or drizzle with lemon juice.
- Optional: Serve asparagus with an aioli like a sriracha aioli or a lemon aioli.
- Use an oil that can be cooked at high heat. We like cooking with avocado oil.
- Use your favorite seasonings. Try chili powder, cumin, curry powder, parsley or anything you like. If you use fresh garlic, don’t add it until the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.