Our crock pot chipotle chicken tacos are made with a smokey and flavor chicken marinade, great for prepping meals ahead of time, and can be served many different ways!
One thing we love when creating recipes is that you can use the same ingredients to make several different meals. This not only helps to cut costs (because you are reusing the ingredients you have on hand), but it also makes coming up with new dinner recipes easy! The marinade that we use for this chipotle chicken recipe can also be used to make a lot of other Mexican inspired meals like our chicken burrito bowls, chicken wings, quesadillas, fajitas, nachos, and burritos. If you need a low carb option, you can also serve the chicken on a bed of cauliflower rice.
CROCK POT CHIPOTLE CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these ingredients for this easy crock pot recipe in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store! If this is your first time making this delicious recipe you might want to read the possible variations before deciding on your ingredients. Exact ingredient amounts are in the recipe card below.Jump to Recipe
- Chicken: We are using chicken breasts, but you can also use chicken thighs instead.
- Marinade & Broth: This is the best marinade! We use canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, garlic, cumin, coriander, chili powder, oregano, salt, shallot, and chicken broth.
- For Tacos: Cilantro Lime Sour Cream, Mexican cheese, flour (or corn) tortillas, cilantro, black beans
MORE WAYS TO SERVE CHIPOTLE CHICKEN
Enjoy this great Chipotle Marinade with so many different recipes:
- Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls– A simple lunch (or dinner) dish that is also great for meal prepping.
- Air Fryer Chicken Stuffed Pasta Shells – An easy and delicious way to use the leftover chipotle chicken if you get tired of chipotle chicken tacos.
- Air Fryer Chipotle Chicken Wings – These are so good you won't want to stop eating them.
- Chipotle Chicken Sheet Pan Fajitas - Making fajitas on a sheet pan is one of the easiest ways to make dinner!
- Chicken and Pineapple Kabobs - Time to fire up the grill for these delicious kabobs.
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup - Just dump the ingredients in and you have delicious soup the whole family loves in less than 30 minutes!
- Crockpot (slow cooker)
- Cutting board
- Forks to shred chicken
Follow the full instructions and kitchen tips and quick tips for the best way to make this recipe. Don't forget to check the prep time and cook time in the recipe card below before you begin.Jump to Recipe
MARINATE CHICKEN: Use a premade chipotle marinade or combine the marinade spices from our fabulous Family Dinners Chipotle Chicken Marinade. Marinade for at least 30 minutes-24 hours in the refrigerator or freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost before putting into the crock pot if you freeze.
ADD CHICKEN AND BROTH: Add the marinated chicken breasts to the bottom of the crock pot and cover with chicken broth.
COOKING TIME: Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
SHRED CHICKEN: Once the chicken has finished cooking it's time to shred it. You can do that in a few different ways. The most popular are to shred in the crock pot or remove from the slow cooker and shred on a cutting board. Use two forks to shred it quickly. Then place the shredded chicken back into the pot about 15 minutes so it has time to absorb all of the chipotle flavors.
SERVE: Add the chipotle chicken to your tortillas and top with your favorite taco toppings. We recommend black beans, cheese, and cilantro lime sour cream
Storing your food properly is important to prevent spoiling or food poisoning.
Refrigerate: Store your crock pot chipotle chicken in an airtight container or ziploc bag and refrigerate up to 3 days if you can't eat it the next day.
Freeze: Store chicken in an airtight, freezer safe, container. If you're storing in a zip top plastic bag, try to get as much air out as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Defrosting: A great way to defrost is in the refrigerator overnight.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click the questions to see the answer.
- 1 recipe Family Dinners Chipotle Marinade - Use pre-marinated chicken breasts from your fridge or freezer or make a fresh batch.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts - 2 lbs of chicken breasts is equivalent to about 4 large chicken breasts.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup Cilantro Lime Sour Cream
- 1 cup soft Mexican cheese
- 8 soft taco size flour tortillas
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed
- Make marinade. Pour over chicken in a bowl or ziploc bag. Rotate chicken to make sure it's covered in the marinade. Marinade for 30 minutes to 24 hours in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer. Defrost before cooking.
- Place marinated chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker (Crock Pot).
- Add chicken broth to crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Remove breasts from slow cooker. Shred then add back into the slow cooker. Let sit for 15 minutes to reabsorb the chipotle juices.
- Serve with tortillas, black beans, cheese, cilantro and cilantro lime sour cream.