Chicken Burrito Bowls are hearty, flavorful, and absolutely delicious Mexican inspired meal. This pan seared chicken will make any dish amazing.
Yet we are saving you some money, you don't have to leave the house, and you can turn your leftovers into our favorite burritos or salads so you aren't eating the same thing twice!
The chipotle marinade we recommend using on the chicken is packed with smoky flavors like cumin, garlic, chili powder, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce along with a couple other spices.
CHICKEN BURRITO BOWL INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these ingredients for this easy chicken recipe in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store! If this is your first time making this delicious recipe you might want to read the possible variations before deciding on your ingredients. For ingredient amounts, see recipe card below.Jump to Recipe
- Chicken: We are using chicken breasts marinated in our Chipotle marinade, but you can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Lime Butter: Our cilantro lime butter really makes it, so don't skip out!
- Oil: We recommend avocado oil, olive oil or your favorite oil.
- Rice: Cilantro lime rice is our favorite but plain jasmine white rice or brown rice work as well.
- Beans: Use black beans or pinto beans.
- Avocado: Use fresh avocado or guacamole.
- Sour Cream: Cilantro Lime Sour Cream or plain sour cream both work.
- Salsa: Make your own pico de gallo or buy a fresh salsa.
- Cilantro: Sprinkle fresh cilantro over your burrito bowl if you like cilantro.
- meat tenderizer or rolling pin
- large skillet
Follow the full instructions and kitchen tips and quick tips for the best way to make this recipe. Don't forget to check the prep time and cook time in the recipe card below before you begin. Full instructions and ingredients list are in the recipe card below.Jump to Recipe
HEAT SKILLET: Pour the olive oil into a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
TENDERIZE CHICKEN: While the chicken is marinating, use a meat tenderizer (or rolling pin) to pound the chicken out so that it is about ½ thick. This makes the cooking process quicker, more evenly, and keeps it juicy.
COOK TIME: Cook the chicken breasts for 6 to 7 minutes on each side or until the chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
REST TIME: Add a tablespoon of cilantro lime butter on top of each chicken breast and allow it to rest for 5 minutes then slice.
SERVE: Build your burrito with your favorite ingredients (salsa, cheese, guac, pico) including our cilantro lime rice, topping it off with a drizzle of cilantro lime sour cream. You can also serve with brown rice if you please.
Storing your food properly is important to prevent spoiling or food poisoning.
Refrigerate: Store in an airtight container or ziploc bag and refrigerate for up to 3 to 4 days days. These ingredients will store better if you store them in separate containers, as opposed to combined.
Freeze: You can freeze your chicken. Store it in an airtight, freezer safe, container. If you're storing in a zip top plastic bag, try to get as much air out as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Defrosting: A great way to defrost is in the refrigerator overnight.
If you have leftover chicken or any of the ingredients, consider making one of these tasty recipes:
Air Fryer Mexican Chicken Stuffed Pasta: These make great appetizers or even a main meal. They're really fun to eat. Crunchy taco shell on the outside and cheesy chicken on the inside.
Chipotle Chicken Salad: Add all your ingredients to a bed of romaine lettuce. Top with salsa.
Chipotle Chicken Tacos: Yum, look how good these look!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click the questions to see the answer.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons Family Dinners Cilantro Lime Butter - or unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons oil - (avocado oil or olive oil)
- 1 recipe Family Dinners Chipotle Marinade - Click link for recipe. Ingredients include: canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, garlic, cumin, coriander, chili powder, oregano, salt, shallot
- 3 cups Cilantro Lime Rice - or any cooked rice
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 avocados
- 1 cans black beans - rinsed
- ¼ cup Cilantro Lime Sour Cream - or plain sour cream
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup cilantro - chopped
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Pour olive oil in pan to heat.
- While chicken is in the marinating bag, use a meat tenderizer or rolling pin to pound the breast until it is approximately ½" thick. This helps the chicken to cook quickly and evenly and remain juicy.
- Place chicken breasts in skillet. Cook 5-6 minutes on one side, until the bottom side begins to brown. Turn over chicken.
- Cook remaining side for 5-7 minutes until chicken is cooked through and the internal temperature is 165°F. Remove from heat.
- Place one tablespoon of Family Dinners Lime Cilantro Butter (or regular salted butter) on top of each chicken breast. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Fill 4 bowls with rice, black beans, salsa, avocado and top with sliced chicken breast and sour cream. Sprinkle with lime and cilantro.