If you've never had deep fried lasagna you're missing out. And we're not talking about the fried lasagna rolls served as appetizers at the Olive Garden. I'm talking about a real piece of lasagna, deep fried oozy gooey goodness!
This is the ultimate comfort food. We've made these so many times and everyone loves them! They're easy to make oh so tasty. You can even make them into fried lasagna bites to serve as an appetizer.
DEEP FRIED LASAGNA INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these ingredients for this easy recipe in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store! If this is your first time making this delicious recipe you might want to read the possible variations before deciding on your ingredients.
- Lasagna: Buy a frozen lasagna or use your own frozen or chilled leftovers from our easy lasagna recipe. I love our easy lasagna because it has spicy Italian sausage and ground beef plus ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella, lasagna noodle and the flavors are perfect! Or you can make this classic lasagna with cottage cheese rather than ricotta.
- Pantry Staples: all purpose flour, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning bread crumbs
- Refrigerator Staples: eggs, milk, parmesan cheese
Enjoy this great recipe as an addition to a tasty meal, special family dinner or dinner party with these other recipes:
- Side Dish: Italian Salad– This classic side dish is colorful and full of flavor!
- Bread: Garlic French Bread Recipe – YUM! Use store bought french bread and make it better!
- Drink: Red Wine Sangria – This is one of my all time favorite sangria recipes. Use the rest of the wine leftover from your marinara recipe.
- Dessert: Blackberry Dump Cake – This needs no introduction!
- 3 separate shallow bowls
- measuring cups and teaspoons
- cheese grater (unless you buy fresh grated parmesan)
- cutting board
- Dutch oven or large pot for frying. (or a deep fryer or air fryer)
- Oil for frying
- Candy thermometer for testing oil temperature.
Follow the full instructions and kitchen tips and quick tips for the best way to make this recipe. Don't forget to check the prep time and cook time in the recipe card below before you begin.
PREHEAT OIL: Heat your frying oil in a large heavy pot or dutch oven. Using a candy thermometer, heat oil to between 350°F and 375°F.
CUT FROZEN LASAGNA: Cut your frozen lasagna into 2"-4" pieces. You can even cut lasagna triangles. The smaller pieces will cook all the way through while frying. Larger pieces will need to be cooked longer in the oven once fried.
MAKE FLOUR MIXTURE: In a shallow bowl or shallow dish, mix flour, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
Mix EGG WASH: Whisk egg and milk together.
MAKE BREADCRUMB MIXTURE: Combine breadcrumbs and grated parmesan cheese.
COAT WITH FLOUR MIXTURE: Coat the piece of lasagna in the flour mixture first.
COAT WITH EGG WASH: Next, dredge the piece in the egg wash. Turn it to coat all sides and edges.
COAT WITH BREADCRUMB MIXTURE: Finally, thoroughly coat the piece in the breadcrumb mixture.
TEST OIL TEMPERATURE: Make sure your oil is between 350°F and 375°F.
DEEP FRY: Deep fry the piece of lasagna until golden brown. You will need to fry these in batches.
REMOVE FROM OIL: Remove lasagna from oil and place on a wire rack or paper towel to drain remove excess oil.
TAKE THE TEMPERATURE: Use a kitchen thermometer to test the internal temperature of the lasagna. If it is not at least 160°F put in the oven for 15 minutes at 350°F.
STORING AND REHEATING TIPS
Storing your food properly is important to prevent spoiling or food poisoning.
Refrigerate: Store in an airtight container or ziploc bag and refrigerate for up to 3 days if you can't eat it the next day.
Freeze: Store in an airtight, freezer safe, container. If you're storing in a zip top plastic bag, try to get as much air out as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Defrosting: A great way to defrost is in the refrigerator overnight.
Reheat: Reheat in the oven at 350°F.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click the questions to see the answer.
- 1 Large Frozen Lasagna
- 2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat your frying oil in a large heavy pot or dutch oven. Using a candy thermometer, heat oil to between 350°F and 375°F.
- Cut your frozen lasagna into 2"-4" pieces. You can even cut lasagna triangles. The smaller pieces will cook all the way through while frying. Larger pieces will need to be cooked longer in the oven once fried.
- In one shallow bowl or shallow dish, mix flour, salt and pepper. In the second shallow bowl combine breadcrumbs and grated parmesan cheese. In a third bowl whisk egg and milk together.
- Coat the piece of lasagna in the flour mixture first. Next, coat the piece in the egg wash. Finally, thoroughly coat the piece in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Make sure your oil is between 350°F and 375°F. Deep fry the piece of lasagna until golden brown, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Remove lasagna from oil and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Use a kitchen thermometer to test the internal temperature of the lasagna. If you cut larger pieces it likely is not hot enough. If it is not at least 160°F put in the oven for 15 minutes at 350°F.
- Use your. hands to thoroughly coat the lasagna with each coat. Gently press the flour mixture and the breadcrumb mixture onto top, bottom and sides of the lasagna piece. This will help it adhere to the lasagna and not fall apart while frying.
- Sometimes omitting salt is fine in a recipe. We've tried this with and without and agree that it's much better with the salt!
- Remove your lasagna from the freezer and leave on the counter for 30 minutes before cutting. Frozen lasagna can be difficult to cut through. Alternatively, cut defrosted lasagna then freeze.
- Try using the air fryer! Instead of deep frying try using the air fryer.
MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Chocolate Dipped Oreo Penguin Cookies
- Easy Lasagna
- Mini Chocolate Puff Pastries
- Air Fryer Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Instant Pot Carnitas