Beef and bean taco filling is a great quick and easy weeknight dinner, and pairs well with Air Fryer Taco Shells for an incredible Taco Tuesday meal. We have included a list of our favorite taco toppings and links to amazing recipes for guacamole, salsa and pico de gallo below. It also makes an excellent beef and bean burrito filling.
❤️ WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS TACO FILLING RECIPE
✔️ Our recipe works great with ground beef, ground turkey or ground chicken. You can even use a vegan alternative.
✔️ It only takes 15 minutes to make this keto friendly taco meat with beans.
✔️ We don't use any pre-packaged spice blends. Pre-packaged spice blends often include fillers and other ingredients that aren't necessary.
✔️ This versatile and gluten free beef and bean filling can be used for tacos, nachos, burritos and more.
GROUND BEEF TACO FILLING INGREDIENTS
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for beef and bean taco filling, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
You may have all of these taco beef filling ingredients in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store. See recipe card below for ingredient amounts.
- Ground Beef: We recommend using a lean blend with 80-90% lean meat. You can also try ground turkey or chicken for this recipe.
- Chili Powder
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Paprika: We used regular paprika, but if you like a bit of a smokey flavor, use smoked paprika.
- Dried Oregano
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- Refried Beans: Use our easy to make Instant Pot Refried Beans or your favorite store bought brand.
- Restaurant Style Salsa: Try our super quick and delicious Restaurant Style Salsa recipe or use ready made salsa from the grocery store.
This section shows how to cook easy taco meat on the stovetop, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, nutritional information, to print the recipe or to have the recipe scaled to double or triple, see the recipe card below.
PREPARE MEAT: Brown the ground beef and then drain the grease.
🔴 TIP: Measure out spices, Combine all the measured out spices in a small bowl before you start browning the meat. This way you can take your time to measure them out exactly and won't forget anything.
FINISH BEEF MIXTURE: First, add water and spices, then stir to combine and coat the meat with the spice mixture. Add refried beans and salsa. Stir again until well blended.
🔴 TIP: You can use this ground beef filling for many dishes, It tastes great as filling for tacos and burritos, but also as a topping for loaded beef nachos.
HOW TO MAKE BEEF TACO FILLING AHEAD
Beef and beans can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat slowly on the stove before serving it. Add a tablespoon of water to thin out, if necessary.
TIPS FOR THE BEST TACO FILLING
Follow these tips to make the best ground beef taco meat.
✔️ Use lean meat. To make sure your taco meat doesn't end up overly greasy use ground beef with 80-90% lean meat. Drain the grease after browning.
✔️ Measure out spices. Combine all the measured out spices in a bowl before you start browning the meat. This way you can measure exactly and won't forget anything.
✔️ Use high quality salsa. Add your favorite store bought salsa or give our delicious homemade restaurant style salsa a try.
Refrigerate: Ground beef taco filling can be stored in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze: Leftovers can be frozen in a freezer safe container or bag for up to 3 months.
Defrosting: Beef and beans taco filling thaws well in the refrigerator over night.
Reheat: Reheat gluten free taco filling slowly on the stove before serving it. Add a tablespoon of water to thin out, if necessary.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TACO FILLING
Tacos are a great meal to feed a crowd. You can serve this scrumptious beef and bean taco filling with Air Fryer Taco Shells and alongside all your favorite fillings, so everyone can build their own mouthwatering taco.
We love serving our homemade taco meat with:
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Mexican cheese blend
- Guacamole or cut up avocado
- Pico De Gallo
- Salsa: mango habanero salsa, restaurant style salsa, salsa verde
- Sour cream: cilantro lime sour cream, dairy free sour cream
- chopped lettuce
- Fresh cilantro and lime wedges
You can also use this juicy and flavorful beef and bean filling to make the world's best Loaded Beef Nachos.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For perfect results every time, here are answers to the most common questions about cooking ground beef burrito filling.
Yes, you can prepare this gluten free taco filling up to 3 days in advance. It also freezes well and can be reheated on the stove.
We recommend using lean ground beef. Either a 80/20 or 90/10 lean meat to fat ratio works well. To get rid of any excess fat, make sure you drain the meat after browning. If you are looking for a lighter option, try ground turkey or chicken, for example.
Yes, this insanely delicious meat mixture also tastes amazing in burritos or on loaded beef nachos. You can use it to fill enchiladas, empanadas or even as a taco pizza topping.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups refried beans - (or one 16 ounce can)
- ½ cup restaurant style salsa
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef. Then drain the grease.
- First, add the water, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine and coat the meat with all the spices.
- Then add refried beans and salsa. Stir until combined and heated through.
- Serve as a filling for tacos, burritos or topping for nachos.
- Try using ground turkey or chicken for this recipe.
- It makes the cooking process a lot quicker and easier if you measure out all the spices before you start browning the meat.
- This beef and beans mixture tastes amazing on our Loaded Beef Nachos.