Nobody can resist this oven baked blackberry and apple dessert. It's bursting with sweet, tart flavor and topped with a buttery crumble (crisp) topping. It's the perfect dessert for summer or fall, and a lighter alternative to cake. This recipe uses apples and blackberries, but you can use any fresh or frozen fruits you like. Serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and you’ve got a divine dessert.
We love seasonable fruit desserts like granny smith apple pie and caramel apple cheesecake hand pies in the fall, or anytime! And when the berries are in bloom, we love making blackberry muffins, blackberry dump cake and blueberry hand pies. All fresh, delicious and--of course--vegetarian.
BLACKBERRY AND APPLE CRUMBLE INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store! See recipe card below for ingredient amounts.
- Apples: Sweet (Gala) apples and tart (Granny Smith) apples.
- Blackberries: You can use fresh or frozen frozen blackberries. You can also substitute or add in raspberries.
- Lemon juice: If you don't have a fresh lemon, the pre-packaged lemon juice like ReaLemon works well.
- Unsalted Butter
- All-purpose Flour: You can substitute self-raising flour, if needed.
- Vanilla Extract: Alternately, use a small amount of brandy or pure maple syrup.
- White Sugar
- Oats: We prefer the extra chew and texture of old-fashioned rolled oats but instant oats will do just fine.
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Powder
TRY OTHER FRUITS: There are a million different fruits you could use for this crumble. Don't be afraid to get creative. Strawberry, rhubarb, cherries, pears, mangoes, pineapple and more. There is no wrong fruit. Go crazy!
ADD HERBS: For a more complex flavor, consider combinations like strawberries with thyme, rosemary or basil; pineapple and basil; apples and pears with rosemary.
If you'd like to print this recipe, scroll down to the recipe card where you can print the recipe or have it scaled to double or triple. You'll also find nutrition information.
TOOLS AND SUPPLIES NEEDED:
- 9x13 baking dish
- medium size mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- pastry blender (or two forks)
HEAT OVEN: Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
COAT APPLES: Toss apple slices with lemon juice.
FILL BAKING DISH: Add filling ingredients to the baking dish. Lightly toss together to combine.
MIX TOPPING: In a medium bowl, mix the topping ingredients together.
COMBINE: Using a pastry blender or two forks, combine ingredients until the butter is in small crumbles. Sprinkle topping on top of the fruit.
BAKE: Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the topping is a light golden brown and the filling is bubbling throughout.
COOL: Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Refrigerate: After the blackberry and apple crumble has been baked and cooled, it can be covered in plastic wrap and refrigerated for about 5 days.
Freeze: After it's baked and cooled, wrap well in cling wrap and foil to prevent freezer-burn. You can freeze the crumble for up to three months.
Defrosting: Defrost your crumble overnight in the fridge. This works whether the apple crumble is baked or unbaked.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- 4 cups apples - peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup oats
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter - cold and cut into chunks
- Preheat your oven to 375° F.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish or equivalent sized baking dish.
- Toss apple slices with the lemon juice as soon as you cut them.
- Add all filling ingredients to the baking dish. Gently mix together.
- Add topping ingredients to a medium sized bowl.
- Use a pastry blender or two forks to combine ingredients. Butter should be in small crumbles when mixed.
- Add topping to the baking dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. It is ready to remove from the oven when all the filling is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- We used a combination of sweet (Gala) and tart (Granny Smith) apples.
- The thinner you slice your apples, the softer they'll be when cooked. If you like your apples a little harder in your crumbles, slice your apples thicker.
- If using frozen blackberries, defrost and drain before using.