Mozzarella stuffed meatballs are cheesy, tender, and bursting with flavor. We love them as our main course, but you can also make them into sliders, subs, and even serve them with spaghetti!
These cheesy meatballs make the absolute best entree when you smother them in our homemade marinara sauce. Oven baked to perfection, but the other reason we really love these is that they take 35 minutes to make, so time is never an issue. This is usually a game day fave, along with buffalo chicken meatballs.
MOZZARELLA STUFFED MEATBALL INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these cheese stuffed meatball ingredients in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store! See recipe card below for ingredient amounts.
- Ground Meat: We are using a 1 to 1 ratio of beef and pork.
- Breadcrumbs: Regular or panko will work.
- Milk: Any percentage of fat will do, if you are using a plant based milk, choose unsweetened.
- Egg: Real eggs work best to keep the meatballs tender and bind the other ingredients together.
- Spices: Parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Garlic: Grab the store bought minced garlic to save some time.
- Cheese: grated parmigiano reggiano cheese, mozzarella cheese sticks (we are going to cube string string for the inside of the meatballs.)
Enjoy this great recipe as a great addition to a full meal with these other recipes:
- Homemade Marinara Sauce – The best marinara sauce you have ever tasted in your life!
- Garlic French Bread – We love this easy bread recipe and it goes with just about anything.
- Pizza Dough Garlic Knots – If you have a little extra time, this recipe is highly recommened!
If you'd like to print this recipe, scroll down to the recipe card where you can print the recipe or have it scaled to double or triple. You'll also find nutrition information.
TOOLS AND SUPPLIES NEEDED:
- large bowl
- measuring cups
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
PREHEAT OVEN: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
SOFTEN BREADCRUMBS: Combine the milk and breadcrumbs in a medium bowl and let it sit for 3-5 minutes.
MIX: Add the remaining ingredients except for the mozzarella and mix together with your hands.
ROLL THE MEATBALLS: Form 24 meatballs that are about the same size.
ADD CHEESE CUBE: Place a piece of cheese in each meatball so that it's in the middle and the meat is covering it.
PLACE ON BAKING SHEET: Sit the meatballs on the baking sheet leaving a couple of inches between each one.
COOKING TIME: Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 164 degrees.
SERVING: Remove from the oven and serve with pasta, marinara sauce, or your favorite side dish.
Refrigerate: You can refrigerate meatballs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freeze: If you plan to freeze the meatballs before eating, undercook them. After they’re defrosted, cook them thoroughly, testing the internal temperature to make sure they’re 165°F.
Defrosting: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WAYS TO USE LEFTOVERS
- Meatball Sub Bombs: Great for any occasion and easy to make.
- Pesto Fettuccine and Meatballs: A flavorful twist on a classic pasta recipe.
- Chicken Parm Sandwich Bake: All of your favorite Italian flavors packed into one sandwich.
- Meatball Sliders: These are filled with gooey mozzarella cheese on a sweet Hawaiian roll.
- Meatball Calzone: Made with a pizza crust dough outside and can be taken on the go.
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork - or pork sausage
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons parsley - chopped
- ¼ cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 24 mozzarella cubes - 4 mozzarella string cheese sticks cut into 6 pieces each
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place parchment paper on your baking sheet.
- Combine breadcrumbs and milk in a bowl. Let sit for 3-5 minutes to soften breadcrumbs.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl, except mozzarella. Mix together with your hands.
- Form 24 equal size meatballs.
- Add a piece of cheese to each meatball. Using your hands, make sure meat is surrounding the cheese. Roll in your hands to make a round, uniform shape.
- Place meatballs on your baking sheet.
- Cook for 15-18 minutes. Meatballs will be done when they reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy.