Have leftover meatballs or need to make some easy game day snacks? These meatball sub bombs are easy to make with your pre-made meatballs and refrigerator biscuit dough. Cook them up in the oven or pop them into the air fryer!
MEATBALL SUB BOMB INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store! See recipe card below for ingredient amounts.
- Dough: Refrigerated canned biscuits (We like Grands by Pillsbury)
- Meatballs: Use one of our meatball recipes: Italian Meatballs, Chicken Meatballs, Air Fryer Meatballs, Turkey Meatballs, Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Cheese: mozzarella cheese cubes, grated parmesan cheese
- Spices: Italian seasoning, garlic salt
- Oil: We recommend olive oil
- Add Veggies: Use your favorite vegetables like onions, black olives, mushrooms, or spinach.
- Swap Cheeses: Provolone or swiss cheese would pair well.
Enjoy this great recipe as a great addition to a full meal with these other recipes:
- Marinara Sauce – This sauce is the best thing you have ever tasted, dip the meatball bombs in this for the ultimate experience
- Italian Salad – When making meatball bombs for dinner, this salad is the best!
- Spinach Dip – Another easy appetizer idea that is great for parties
If you'd like to print this recipe, scroll down to the recipe card where you can print the recipe or have it scaled to double or triple. You'll also find nutrition information.
TOOLS AND SUPPLIES NEEDED:
- 9 inch pie dish
- pastry brush
- cutting board
PREHEAT OVEN: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
GREASE: Grease the bottom of a 9 inch pie dish using butter or non stick cooking spray.
CUT THE BISCUITS: Open the canned biscuits and each one in half.
ROLL THE DOUGH: Roll each half into a ball, then flatten it into a small circle.
ADD MOZZARELLA AND MEATBALL: Place a piece of cheese and one meatball into the center of each dough circle.
COVER THE MEATBALL: Pull the sides of the dough up and around so the inside is covered.
ROLL: Roll each sub bomb between your hands until it's round.
PLACE IN DISH: Put each dough ball in the dish.
SEASON: Sprinkle the tops with parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and garlic salt.
COOKING TIME: Bake for 20 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Brush the tops with olive oil and serve with marinara!
AIR FRYER COOK TIME: If you want to put these into the air fryer, follow our ham and cheese sandwich bomb recipe cooking instructions.
Refrigerate: Keep meatball sub bites in an airtight container or Ziploc bag in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freeze: Place the sub bombs in a freezer safe container or bag once they have cooled and freeze for 2 months.
Defrosting: Allow them to thaw in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature.
Reheating: To reheat, place them back in the oven, air fryer, or microwave and heat until they are warmed all of the way through.
- Meatball Sliders
- Meatball Calzones
- Ham and Cheese Sandwich Bites
- Pepperoni Pizza Bites
- Breakfast Biscuit Bites
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For these to be gluten free, you would want to be sure you use a gluten free dough. Also, if you are making your own meatballs and are using breadcrumbs, those need to be gluten free as well.
Meatball sub bombs are one of those foods that you could eat with just about anything. From salads, chips, and fries, to a side of veggies the choices are endless.
We like using our homemade meatballs, but this is a personal preference based on taste and the amount of time you have. We've made them from ground beef, pork, and chicken; all which turned out delicious!
- Canned Grands Biscuit Dough
- 16 cooked meatballs
- 16 cubes of mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease the bottom of a 9 inch pie dish.
- Separate the biscuits. Cut in half. Roll each half into a ball then, using your hands, flatten them into rounds.
- Place a piece of mozzarella and a meatball in the center of the round.
- Use your hands to pull the biscuit dough up to cover entire meatball. Seal the seams and roll the ball in your hands to make it round.
- Place in the pie dish.
- Sprinkle each bomb with some grated parmesan, Italian seasoning and garlic salt.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until each bomb is golden brown.
- Brush tops with olive oil. Serve with marinara sauce.
- For the mozzarella, use fresh mozzarella, cut up mozzarella string cheese or shredded mozzarella.
- Optional: brush tops of bombs with olive oil before sprinkling with seasoning before cooking.
- Use any type of meatball you enjoy.