This oven baked french bread sandwich is similar to a meatball stromboli except all of the traditional flavors of chicken parm sandwich bake. These are our favorites when we want an easy dinner, but something different. We also serve these when we have parties, which every one loves!
A mozzarella and chicken baked sandwich may not sound special, but you will quickly change your mind once your teeth sink into that first bite. Plus, it feeds 6 people at a time and you only need 7 simple ingredients.
CHICKEN PARM SANDWICH BAKE INGREDIENTS
You may have all of these chicken parm sandwich bake ingredients in your refrigerator or pantry and not need to make a trip to the grocery store! See recipe card below for ingredient amounts.
- Bread: For ease, we are using canned french bread dough, but you can use homemade pizza dough as well
- Meatballs: Choose from our Air Fryer Meatballs, Chicken Meatballs, Italian Meatballs, Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs, or Turkey and Spinach Meatballs.
- Cheese: Shredded mozzarella and parmesan
- Spices: Italian seasoning, salt
- Oil: You can use your favorite, we like olive oil.
- Dipping Sauce: Make our homemade marinara or use a jar of store bought.
Try some of these fun variations.
- Hawaiian Rolls: Instead of French bread use Hawaiian Sweet Rolls to make sliders or experiment with ciabatta rolls. If you have hamburger buns on hand, those could work too.
- Add Veggies: Toss in spinach, olives, and maybe even your favorite kind of peppers.
- Try Provolone: Use provolone slices instead of mozzarella and parm.
- Chicken Tenders: Use breaded chicken tenders instead of meatballs.
Enjoy these other great recipes:
- Meatball Calzones – All the things you love about a pizza folded into a calzone.
- Meatball Sliders – Delicious and great for individual servings and parties.
- Cheesy Stuffed Meatballs – Gooey mozzarella on the inside covered with juicy and tender ground beef.
If you'd like to print this recipe, scroll down to the recipe card where you can print the recipe or have it scaled to double or triple. You'll also find nutrition information.
TOOLS AND SUPPLIES NEEDED:
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- pastry brush
- shallow bowl
PREHEAT OVEN: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
PREP BAKING SHEET: Line a baking sheet with parchment, aluminum foil, or spray with cooking spray.
UNROLL THE DOUGH: Find the seam on the french bread and unroll it on the baking sheet into a rectangle.
OIL THE BREAD: Drizzle olive oil onto the dough and use a pastry bread to spread it out.
ADD CHEESE: Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on to the bread dough, leaving room around the edges.
PLACE MEATBALLS: Line the meatballs up down the center.
ROLL: Roll the french bread dough over and pinch the edges to seal.
OIL AND SEASON: Brush on a little more olive oil on the top and add the Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese, and salt.
COVER: Wrap the pan loosely in aluminum foil.
COVER: Wrap the pan loosely in aluminum foil.
COOKING TIME: Bake for 20 minutes then remove the foil and cook for another 15-20 minutes until it's firm to the touch and golden brown. If needed you can broil to brown the top if you are worried it's going to over cook.
SERVE: Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve with ranch dressing, barbecue sauce, or marinara.
Refrigerate: Store in an air tight container, plastic bag, or aluminum foil in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze: Once the chicken parmesan sandwiches have cooled completely, slice in smaller servings and freezer in a ziploc bag for up to 2 months.
Reheating: Place frozen sandwiches in the oven or air fryer at 350 degrees and heat until they are warm all of the way through.
- Pesto Fettuccine and Meatballs: A flavorful twist on a classic pasta recipe.
- Meatball Sliders: These are filled with gooey mozzarella cheese on a sweet Hawaiian roll.
- Meatball Calzone: Made with a pizza crust dough outside and can be taken on the go.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Canned French Bread Dough
- 18 cooked meatballs
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Find the seam of the french bread dough and carefully unroll the dough. Shape the unrolled dough into a rectangle.
- Brush with olive oil.
- Spread shredded mozzarella cheese on dough, leaving dough uncovered at the edges.
- Place meatballs down the center of the dough.
- Carefully roll up the french bread loaf. Pinch edges to secure.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Loosely cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 15-20 more minutes until the loaf is golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Let cool for a couple minutes before slicing into 6-8 pieces. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.